How an infertility couple is investigated ?
1. The most important is history and physical examination of both the partners.
2. Assessment of ovulation
- This is best done by Ultrasound when patient is to be put under treatment
3. Assessment of Ovarian Reserve
This is to be done to see woman’s remaining egg supply. The various methods of ovarian reserve testing are :
- Day 3 FSH, LH and Estradiol Levels
- Ultrasound to assess ovarian volume and Antral follicle counts
4. Blood tests
- These depend upon Individual case. Most common are day 3 FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone), LH (Luteinizing hormone), Prolactin, Estradiol, TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). Other basic Blood tests are also done.
5. Semen Analysis
- This is the simplest and the most important test.
6. Tubal patency test or HSG
- HSG or hysterosalpingogram is also known as dye test. It is done between Days 6-11 of the cycle. It is done in order to assess the anatomy of endometrial cavity and the patency of tubes.
7. Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy
- This is a diagnostic process to find out the exact condition of the uterus, tubes and the pelvis. It is used when other investigations like ultrasound and HSG doesn’t give a clearer view. These endoscopic techniques can be used to correct underlying disorders when present like adhesions, endometriosis, fibroids, Polyps etc.