What is Ovulation?
Ovulation is a process in which a mature follicle ( structure containing egg ) ruptures and release egg which is then picked up by the fimbrial end of fallopian tubes.
What is ovulation induction?
It is a infertility treatment where we use oral medications or injections to stimulate ovaries to form one or more mature follicle.
In which cases you use ovulation induction?
Ovulation Induction is used in women who do not form mature follicles on their own. This entity is also known as An ovulation.
What is the cause of Anovulation?
According to WHO criteria Anovulation is classified as :-
- Group 1 : Hypothalamic pituitary failure. These may be related to stress, weight loss or anorexia nervosa.
- Group 2 : Hypothalamic pituitary dysfunction, These are women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome .
- Group 3 : Ovarian failure
- Group 4 : Hyperprolactinemia Anovulation.
Is Ovulation induction done in normal ovulation women also?
Though same ovulation drugs are used in normal ovulation women but it is known as controlled ovarian hyper stimulation.
How is ovulation induction performed?
The various drugs used for ovulation induction are :
- Tab clomiphene citrate
- Injections gonadotrapins
- Dopaminergic drugs like cabergoline
What is polycystic ovarian syndrome?
It is one of the most common endocrine disorder in women of reproductive age group and is characterized by An ovulation and hyperandrogenism. In simple language periods may be irregular or even absent and there is no formation of egg and signs.
What are the symptoms and signs of polycystic ovarian syndrome?
According to definition you have PCOS if there is presence of any two of the following three criteria :
- Ovaries appear polycystic on ultrasound i.e. there are numerous small cystic structure also known as antral follicles 2-8 mm in size, aggregated around a dense stoma or scattered throughout the increased ovarian tissue.
- Irregular or absent periods.
- Symptoms of high androgen levels (a male character causing hormone) like increased facial hair, acne etc.
Can I conceive if I am PCOS patient?
If we consider all causes of infertility than PCOS or An ovulation is the most easily and effectively treated condition. We just need to decide the right treatment approach to these cases.
What are risk of ovulation induction drugs?
The only two major side effects associated with these drugs are multiple pregnancy and ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome( formation of excessive eggs ). These can be avoided if we tailor treatment according to patient.