Things to do to improve your chances of conceiving naturally
Natural conception, as easy as it seems, has only a 20% success rate per cycle. So, if you are unable to get pregnant naturally, please do not panic. Good things usually take time.
Having said that, we understand that the process may be worrisome. You may be trying for months without any luck – that can be quite frustrating. But, the good news is that you can do a few things to improve your chances of conceiving naturally. It is all about understanding your body and doing what’s best for it.
Improve your physical health
Physical fitness is of the most importance while trying to conceive. Taking care of yourself and ensuring that you are healthy will automatically increase the chances of conceiving naturally without any intervention. Here are a few helpful tips for you:
- Ensure that you are not overweight or underweight. Both of these conditions affect fertility negatively. If you have chronic weight issues, we suggest that you work with your doctor on the same. Otherwise, you may alter your diet and lifestyle to achieve optimal weight.
- Make exercise a routine and workout at least 3 times a week. The right exercises for you will depend on your body type. But, aerobics, weight training, and yoga have proven to benefit most women.
- Stop smoking and consuming alcohol – this holds true for both partners. Studies over the years have found that even moderate alcohol consumption reduces fertility. Moreover, tobacco reduces the motility of sperm. Even passive smoking can have adverse effects. If you indulge in either or both of these habits, it’s time to stop.
- Try to relax. Stress has severely negative effects on the body and the mind. Excessively stressing about conception may actually be the reason why you are unable to conceive. Try to give yourself a break and take good care of yourself.
Watch your diet
Exercise and diet go hand in hand. Doing just one and ignoring the other is almost as bad as doing nothing. So, along with staying active while trying to conceive, it is important to eat right
Food that must be a part of your diet:
- Water: Drinking water and staying hydrated through the day helps remove toxins from the body. It also helps organ function and stabilizes hormones.
- Whole milk: Whole milk is high-fat dairy that helps successful ovulation and improves fertility. We recommend that you drink 3 glasses of whole milk every day.
- Grains, vegetables, and fruits: All these foods have complex carbohydrates that provide fiber, remove toxins, and improve fertility.
While making diet changes, remember to ensure that you get enough of the following:
- Zinc: Deficiency of zinc causes infertility in men and women.
- Vitamins: Particularly, vitamin B6, C, E, and folic acid enhance the production of male and female hormones.
- Fatty acids: Nuts, seeds, and oily fish can help you get the required fatty acids. They don’t just support fertility but also fetal development.
- Proteins: Consuming protein-rich foods will help enhance the production of sex hormones. We recommend plant-based proteins only. Red meat can be harmful.
Food that you must avoid while trying to conceive naturally:
- Caffeine: Various studies have shown that caffeine causes infertility and can increase the risk of miscarriage as well. So, it is vital that you remove it from your diet entirely.
- Soy products: They cause infertility in men.
- Processed foods: Processed foods must always be avoided but it is even more crucial if you are trying to get pregnant naturally. This is because they are loaded with preservatives, pesticides, and other harmful substances.
- Animal protein: Red meat, etc. increase risk of infertility. Plant proteins are the safest.
Learn about your menstrual cycle
It is not enough to know when your period is due. You must also know when you are ovulating. Keeping track of this is the easiest way to conceive because this is when you are most fertile. There are a few ways to do this:
- Buying ovulation kits: These kits will help you determine whether you are ovulating.
- Following the calendar method: Each cycle lasts for 28 to 32 days. Keeping this in mind, track the first day of your period and determine when the next cycle will start. You may have to track your cycle for a few months to get the exact date but we are assuming you already do that. From the determined date of your next cycle, count backward and note the 8 to 18 days. This is the period when you will ovulate. Ovulation usually occurs only on one day and penetration during that time will increase chances of pregnancy drastically. There are free ovulation calendars available for download as well.
- Checking the cervical mucus: The mucus changes in color and consistency throughout the cycle. Around the time of ovulation, it becomes slippery, stretchy, and whitish – almost like an egg white. Tracking these changes will help you determine when you are ovulating.
- Tracking the basal temperature: All you need is a basal thermometer to check when the basal body temperature goes up. It is usually up immediately after ovulation.
Work on sperm build-up
Both partners have equal roles to play in conception. Tracking ovulation and ensuring you time intercourse in that window is not enough. The male partner must have enough sperm to increase chances of fertilization. Not ejaculating in a while can help with this. So we recommend abstinence for 3-4 days for a positive outcome.
If you have been trying to conceive for over 6 months, it is a good idea to get a few tests done. There might be a medical reason why you are facing problems. Identifying it and solving it could be the breakthrough you are looking for. It will also help you plan the way forward.
Reviva IVF – Your solution to infertility
Reviva IVF offers state-of-the-art IVF treatment centre in Chandigarh. We are a specialty clinic with over 65% success rate. Our team of embryologists, andrologists, and anesthetics will work closely with you to make the journey easy and exciting. We offer the most affordable IVF costs in Chandigarh and surrounding areas to ensure that the procedures don’t take a toll on you. Book an appointment with us now and start the magical journey of pregnancy.