Things you must know before starting IVF
We would like to commend you and your partner on your decision to undergo IVF. You are extremely brave.
The road ahead can be daunting when you don’t know what to expect and how to prepare yourself for the journey. IVF takes time and getting ready for it is important – and we don’t just mean financially. We mean that you must be prepared emotionally and physically as well. To help you with this, we have jotted down the most important things you must know before starting IVF.
IVF requires patience and optimism
The procedure involves multiple steps and cycles that can stretch for weeks. Different couples respond differently to the treatment and that is why it can be stressful to go through it. There’s no formula about body response and the time it will take for the procedure to show results. This is why, we urge you to have a patient and optimistic mindset right from the get-go.
Around 50% of couples see results in the first cycle but the rest require at least one additional cycle. Each cycle takes about 4 weeks. If the first cycle does not show results, it is very crucial not to be disappointed and worried. Brace yourself for the journey along with your partner – there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
The cost is an important consideration
Cost is a huge factor because the procedure can be expensive. However, the approach here must be different. There are many important things to consider to understand whether you will get value for money. A few of these are as follows:
- The success rate of the clinic: Good clinics usually have an excellent success rate, making them more suitable. The chances of having to go through fewer cycles are also high if the success rate is good. This means that even if the cost is slightly on the higher end, you will save money on the whole and there will be less hassle as well.
- Transparency: Hidden costs are a major concern in most cases. What’s discussed upfront may not appear in the final invoice due to a large number of charges that the clinic initially does not speak about. Speaking to the doctors will give you a fair idea about this. Notice how open they are about the procedure, whether they are giving out details of the cycles, etc. and you will be able to tell if they are transparent. Reviews come in handy here as well. So, be sure to explore them.
- Whether it is a specialty clinic: A super-specialty clinic accommodates multiple disciplines of medicine and may not be the right choice especially during a pandemic. A specialty clinic, on the other hand, is much safer. Also, since the entire clinic is dedicated to IVF and infertility, there will be better equipment, expert doctors, focus, and better success rate.
- How long the clinic has been in business: This factor will help you understand how well the clinic has fared and whether it is thriving in the space. If the clinic is new, you may not have previous results to go by.
- Payment options: Does the clinic offer 0% EMI? If yes, check if the cycle rates are higher than its competitors. Does it have tie-ups with banks for loans? This may help you get a loan without extra trouble.
When you evaluate the IVF cost, it is crucial that you tap into each of these points. It will give you a 360-degree understanding of the clinic, making the choosing process quite easy.
Your body needs to prepare
Physical preparation is a must for the IVF procedure and the 9-month journey after conception. Your body must be ready for it. In other words, it should be fit and healthy. If you lead a rather unhealthy lifestyle such as low physical activity, smoking, obesity, etc., you have to start working on it. The great news is that a few simple changes can have a huge impact on sperm count and your fertility. So, based on your partner’s and your physical fitness, you can start taking the necessary steps. A few doctors may also recommend a specific IVF diet. You will need to follow this for at least 2 months before you can start the IVF procedure.
Stress is harmful
Anxiety and confusion are a part of the IVF journey especially in the beginning but these factors lead to stress. Stress makes conception harder than it needs to be. This is because it directly affects the body! Multiple studies have, in fact, proven that women who did not stress much during the process were more likely to see positive results.
We realize that it is easier said than done. Stress is an obvious part of a life-altering process especially when you don’t know what to expect. This is why, the best way to avoid stress is to learn about the process, what to expect, and what needs to be done. We recommend that you choose a good IVF clinic and speak to the doctors regularly. Have all your questions answered so that you know exactly what to expect. This will ward off the fear of the unknown quite significantly.
Be prepared for some discomfort
We have seen many couples fret about pain and discomfort due to the medication. The injections themselves are standard and do not cause much pain. But, they have been known to show side-effects such as breast tenderness, mood swings, and abdominal pain. Headaches, nausea, and bloating may also be experienced. Having said that, you must note that “severe” pain is not very common. It only happens to a few women. Progesterone shots may also cause bruising and pain.
It can be incredibly difficult to take so much pain but we urge you to look at the bigger picture – 9 months down the line, you will realize that the pain was indeed worth it.
You may need a support system
The burden of infertility is indeed too much to take. Adding to this, the taboo surrounding it, the fear of society, and the worry to keep it under the covers can be too much to handle. You and your partner must emotionally be there for each other, of course, but along with that you will need a support system of your closest family members and friends. They will provide a comforting shoulder through the process.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to the ones you trust the most – they are there for you.
It may not feel like it at the moment, but something wonderful will come out of this journey. Choosing a good IVF clinic and working closely with your doctor will alleviate most of the stress revolving around it. We hope the aforementioned points work as a positive light as you begin what we hope will be a magical phase in your life.
Choosing the right IVF clinic in Chandigarh
If you are on the lookout for a specialty IVF centre in Chandigarh, we invite you to check Reviva Infertility and IVF Centre Chandigarh. We provide state-of-the-art medical services to help and support you through the treatment. Our success rate is around 50-60% and we offer the most competitive IVF costs in Chandigarh. Contact us to know more and book an appointment.